Just recently, Yumeka shared her really large list of questions describing herself as a fan. Others have done it too and it seemed interesting. As a result, I gave it a try. It took several hours to answer all the questions, so hopefully you will enjoy. Also, excuse me if some of the answers have rough grammar, considering that this was petty long. So, I would like to present the whole list of questions and answers so many bloggers and fans can learn about me.
Location: North Caldwell, New Jersey (Essex County, 30 mins away from NYC)
Hometown/Where you grew up: I am still living in the same house for my whole life. This probably won’t change until I graduate from college and start working.
Parents/Guardians: Mom and Dad. My mother was born in the states and my father moved from China to the United States in the 1940s. His relatives reside in Wisconsin while my mom’s resides mostly in New Jersey.
Sexual orientation: Straight
Religion: Presbyterian (Christian)… My parents, younger sister and I used to go attend church every Sunday, but we slacked off shortly afterwards.
Martial status: Single
Number of Children: 1
Highest amount of education received/currently enrolled in:
I’m currently getting my Bachelor’s degree at Rutgers University-Newark as an Accounting Major. I am considering being a MIS major as my second major in the future. Now a student at NJIT as an MIS major and will get a Masters Degree from there after finishing my Bachelor’s Degree.
Hobbies: Besides Anime, I have a strong interest in music. In elementary and high school, I played the Clarinet in concert band and Piano with private lessons. I usually slack off, but I still manage to sound good. In addition, I do programming (Visual Basic and Objective C) and video games.
How many years have you been an anime fan: Possibly 10-13 years… (Started around 1998)
1. What was/is your family situation growing up? How?
My relationship with my family is good. During my childhood, my mother’s grandmother raised my sister and me. My grandmother usually forces us to read books and play with puzzles. As a result, most of the toys looked new. In December 1998, my grandmother got a stroke and has to be hospitalized. As a result, my mother and father took a greater responsibility of raising my sister and me.
2. How would you describe your relationship with your parents/guardians?
Well, I am on good terms with my mother and the only thing she wants is to have myself get good grades in college. My father is old fashioned and he nags me sometimes. As a result, I would get irritated. Also, my mom and father usually get into arguments over stupid things… I am assuming this is normal with couples.
3. How would you describe your relationship with your siblings if you have any?
I have a younger sister, which is about 16 months apart me. I get along with her and talk with her.
4. Do/did your parents/guardians watch anime? Do/did they know what it is? Do/did they approve of your hobbies? How have their views changed over time?
They don’t really care… they let us watch whatever we can as long it isn’t too risqué.
5. Do you have any family members you would describe as sexist? Racist?
On my mother’s side, there are some relatives that are racist against Asian people, but they don’t really show it. As for my father side, he has a brother that hates the Japanese because of what happened in World War II. He refuses to buy any products that came from Japan.
Believe me, I don’t have anything against them. I like their culture as I do with my own.
6. Do you/did you live with parents after finishing your schooling?
I don’t know yet since I have about 3 years of college left, but I will eventually move after I get a secure job. I will visit them one in a while.
7. Have you ever canceled social plans to watch anime? If you did were there any major repercussions?
Nope, I haven’t done this in high school since I never go out with my friends. Currently, I put homework and group projects first before Anime. This will probably change in the near future when I start working.
8. Have you ever canceled anime plans to do something related to another hobby?
9. Have you ever tried to get your significant other/children/parents/siblings into anime? In what ways? Did it work?
I didn’t have to influence my sister. She seems to pick whatever she wants to watch that suits her interest. She is mostly interested in shouen anime like Full Metal Alchemist.
10. How often do you watch anime with others vs. how much you watch on your own.
100% of the time, I watch alone since I don’t really have many friends since I transferred colleges last year and graduated from high school. Also, I’m usually busy with college and stuff, but I still manage to find the time to watch anime.
11. How many close friends do you have?
Used to have some, but that changed in college since my close friends went to different colleges, usually out of state. Since I have Facebook disabled because of privacy concerns, I don’t have any contact with my old friends anymore.
12. How have you met most of your friends?
Outside school, I don’t really meet my friends often…
13. How big is your social network?
Well, it’s pretty moderate since I participate on Twitter, AnimeSuki forums and comment on other blogs. The people have been very nice and open minded except a select few.
14. How many friends have you lost over the years?
A lot since I stopped using Facebook. Otherwise, I still maintain friendships with other bloggers on the web.
15. How many nights a week do you go out/hang out with others?
I don’t really hang out with other people, especially at night. The night is spent on the web and watching shows/anime.
16. Do you talk to a lot of people online? How close are your relationships vs. your in person ones.
I talk to several people over Twitter, my blog and XMPP over the Internet. Sadly, this is not the same case in real life since I don’t know many people. I still socialize with them if they talk to me or I have to work with them on a school project.
17. Have you ever met a friend online and then in person? Did you stay friends? Did it change the relationship?
Most likely will say friends if I meet them in person. However, this haven’t happen yet since can’t really go to conventions.
18. When you have personal problems who do you turn to?
My parents, sister or good friends… but I haven’t have any personal problem lately, so…
20. Have you ever set up your friends? Has anyone ever tried to set you up with a friend?
21. Has anyone close to you ever passed away?
Well, my uncle on my mom side because of pancreatic cancer. It was unfortunate since he didn’t eat healthy and drink too much. When he started his cancer treatment, he started to act like a jerk. He was also too demanding as well and took advantage of my mother. After he done something really embarrassing to my sister at Target, I became his enemy as a result.
My grandmother is still dealing with the scars happen to her passing away of her brother.
22. What do you look for in a person when considering dating? Does whether or not they like anime factor in?
Well, I like Asian girls primarily not only because I am Asian, but also I like the aesthetics. I also have to admit that I had crushes in high school, but it didn’t go beyond that. In addition to Asian girls, I would also look for someone who is intelligent, kind and open minded. Anime does not have a factor in my consideration of who I like.
23. Describe your ideal mate.
24. How many serious relationships have you been in? How long was the longest?
What was the best situation?
Never been in a serious relationship, so I can’t tell.
25. Have you ever been rejected? Have you ever rejected anyone? Did anime play into any of these scenarios?
26. Have you ever been dumped? Have you ever dumped anyone? Did anime play into any of these scenarios?
27. What is your Internet use daily? How often do you use it to converse? How often do you use it to converse with other anime fans?
I have to admit, I am a heavy Internet user and cannot live a day without it. This is why I have an iPhone to check email, twitter and my blog on the go. While I am at school, I would be on my Macbook Pro since the university has WiFi.
I use Twitter and XMPP to communicate with my friends. I don’t have any texting on my phone besides Google Voice that provides free texting. Also, I am willing to do voice chats over Skype as well.
28. Have you ever used an online dating service? Did you list anime in your profile?
29. Have you ever dated someone you met online? How did you meet them online?
Never been on a date.
30. Have you ever been attracted to someone outside of your race?
Some time in High School, but that pretty much went away, especially when I started watching Anime again.
31. Have you ever dated outside of your race? Was there any negative reaction from your family/friends?
Haven’t dated, but my parents would probably be angry at me if I did…
32. Have you ever hit on anyone at an anime con?
Haven’t dated nor went to an Anime Convention.
33. Have you ever dated someone you met at an anime con?
34. Have you ever had a con-quest? (Also known as a hook-up at a convention.)
35. How much sexual experience have you had?
I am not thinking about that…
36. Are you sexual attracted to anime characters? What fetishes do you subscribe to?
Not sexually attracted nor I have any fetishes. I do like characters with an interesting and kind personality.
37. Do you have any fetishes you wouldn’t casually tell someone?
Not really… Too embarrassing.
38. Has your sexual orientation changed since you started watching anime? Are the two related?
No and a bit too personal.
39. Have you ever been attracted to a character that was outside your norm? (i.e. you are a gay man but were attracted to female character.)
No, unless it’s a trap!
40. Have you ever watched anime while performing a sexual act?
No… that seems so perverted.
41. Do you watch pornography? How much, if any, is anime?
Eroge Visual Novels, but I usually don’t look at it or find a patch to disable them. Outside of that, it’s beyond my comfort zone, thus grosses me out.
42. Have you ever watched porn/hentai in a group? With your significant other?
43. Have you ever role-played/cos-played during sex?
1. Have you ever identified yourself as an otaku online? To your friends? To your family? To your coworkers? Why or why not?
I don’t identify myself as an Otaku for the following reasons: 1. The term is rather negative in Japan 2. I have a life 3. My interests for Anime are not over excessive. It’s moderate.
2. Have you ever been disgusted or ashamed of yourself as a fan? Of your fellow fans?
Not really. However, elitists disgust me a lot since they are really obnoxious, critical and very opinionated. They always complain about every single thing, especially moe as I described in my editorial. This is part of the fandom I would rather not bother with since they will never change.
3. How much do you watch anime to escape reality?
Well, I watch anime to relax my stress and enjoy myself. Anime is like video games, a good way to escape reality in a good way.
4. How have you changed as a fan since you have started watching anime?
As described in my editorial on how I got into Anime, the Miyasaki films and Pokemon were influential to my interest in Anime in the late 90s. Afterwards, I watched pretty much anything I can see on TV. In 2008, my interest shifted from shouen anime to romance, harem, comedy, drama and slice of life anime. I am pretty open minded as long it has a good story and isn’t one of those typical hot blooded shouen anime or mecha.
5. Were/are you part of any clubs/sports?
Besides Concert Band, I participated in the High School’s Marching Band in the pit. It was an enjoyable and fun experience with the competitions and stuff.
When I got into college, I don’t really participate in any clubs since I don’t know any. Perhaps it could change in the next three years.
6. What type of student were/are you?
I am an A and B student in college and work hard for the grades. I never skip any classes, went late and never missed any homework. However, my writing is a bit bleh and I got C’s in English Composition II and Westerrn Civilization I. It really made me angry.
7. Did/do you enjoy going to school?
High School was a mixed bag since I have people bullying me. Besides that, college is rather enjoyable and relaxing experience. The students at the university I go to are very diverse and rather nice. I haven’t came across a rude person yet.
8. Do you consider yourself smarter than the average person?
I’m pretty smart, but lazy… I just need to put effort to do better.
9. Do you consider yourself more personable than the average person?
Probably. I was an enjoyable person to be around with in high school with a few exceptions. I don’t talk that much, but I am willing to talk to others.
10. Do you think you have any skills or talents that set you apart from others?
I am great at computers. People, sister and my mom would always call me over to help them fix the problem with the computer or something. I have to say, I am very fluent with computers since I used multiple operating systems and programs. I also upgrade my own hardware such as my hard drive for instance.
11. Were/are picked on in school? Did/do you ever bully anyone?
Elementry School (6th grade) and High School… I was bullied a lot because they know how to push my buttons and that I am a minority. I have toughened up during those years and usually shrug off the rude people.
12. Describe your ideal job.
I want to be an Accountant or do something with MIS since I like computers.
I decided to change my major to MIS since I found Accounting difficult and that I’m interested more in computers.
13. Do you enjoy your job?
I don’t have a job yet, so I can’t tell.
14. Is your current job what you went to school for? If you are still in school, what do you think your chances are you will get a job related to what you went to school for?
15. Do you consider yourself good at your job? Better than your co-workers?
16. Do you see yourself in this same job 5 years from now?
17. If someone were to describe you in one word what would it be?
Can’t really say since I don’t really remember.
18. Would you describe yourself as attractive?
I am pretty handsome and young looking. I look so young that many people think I was 16 or 17 years old.
19. What is your general state of health?
Besides allergies, I am in good health despite the fact that I had a mild case of Hyperthyroidism. I haven’t gotten a serious illness since 7th grade.
20. Do you have any outstanding medical conditions? Do you take a prescription for anything
Nope, seasonal allergies and dust…
21. Do you exercise on a regular basis?
If you count walking down from the business school to the main campus (several blocks of walking), I guess I do some exercise. Beyond that, not really.
22. Do you watch what you eat?
Not really, but I don’t really eat much besides from Lunch and Dinner since I don’t really have the time for breakfast. In addition, I don’t overeat unlike the fat cousins I have. I would have to change my diet when I get older and my metabolism slows so I won’t get too overweight.
23. Do you take vitamins?
24. Have you ever been to a psychiatrist/psychologist?
25. Would you say you have a temper?
Yes, I do have a temper if someone really gets on my nerves.
26. Do you get embroiled in drama frequently? Do you get pulled into other people’s drama?
Not really. My life is pretty carefree, but I have some drama with my friends once in a while.
27. How often do you find yourself being a mediator between people?
28. Would you say you procrastinate often?
Used to procrastinate a lot in high school. This changed since I am in college and grades matter a lot. This means I cannot slack off.
29. How much do you consider yourself a forgiving person?
I am mostly because I don’t want to create enemies. I know humans aren’t perfect, so I am willing to make up with people and be friends. In certain circumstances, if someone really made me angry to the point that I hate them, then I won’t forgive them.
30. Do you tackle your problems head on?
Depends how risky…
31. Have you done any body alternations related to anime (ex: dye hair, tattoo, etc.)?
Never, since I want to keep my appearance as it is.
32. Have you ever taken up something (ex: martial arts) because of anime?
33. Have you tried to learn Japanese?
I would like to, but it’s pretty difficult. It’s also embarrassing that I don’t even know a second language, especially Chinese. If I knew Chinese, Japanese would not be that difficult.
In early October, I decided to teach myself Japanese because I wanted to play The iDOLM@STER, which is a Japanese only game… and of course, to have another language on my resume. I’m planning to take the JPLT N5 in December of this year
34. Has anime ever helped you?
It helps me with some things, but I don’t learn that much from anime.
35. Name an anime character that is most like yourself.
Trick question… I can’t really think of one, maybe later?
36. What is the anime character you admire the most? Why?
There are so many, but I do admire Shiori Misaka a lot… Perhaps a few in the blogosphere do because she is a very kind, ambitious and passionate girl despite her illness and her older sister deserting her. In addition, Misuzu and Nagisa is up there too.
37. Has your anime fandom ever been an obstacle in your life?
Not really since I like the shows I watch and the people are open minded except a few.
1. What was the first anime you saw? Did you know it was anime at the time? Would you still watch that anime today?
My Neighbor Totoro was the first anime-based film I watched as a child. In addition, Pokemon was the first Anime-TV series I have watched.
2. Do you pay attention to anime directors and who directs what you watch? Who is your favorite anime director?
3. Do you consider being called an otaku a badge of honor or an insult?
I view the term “otaku” as an insult, which is a reason why I never consider myself one. Some people may view it differently, which is okay.
4. Would you be more or less inclined to be friends with someone who called themselves an otaku? Would you be more or less inclined to date someone who called themselves an otaku?
I don’t really care if someone calls himself or herself an “otaku.” The personality, interests and likability is more important.
5. Have you ever gotten into an argument over the use of the word otaku?
Besides the Otaku (Bashing) Game, I could care less.
6. What is your opinion on lolita? shouta? yaoi? yuri? hentai?
I like yuri, but haven’t watch any of it. Perhaps Nanoha can give it to me with NanoFate or something… As for Lolicon, Shouta, and Yaoi, I don’t have much interest. Hentai pure disgusts me… I wish there was an option to turn it off in the visual novels.
7. How much anime do you own?
I own several-licensed Anime, especially the ones I like such as Kanon, Air, Clannad and others. I also buy the DVDs if the titles are licensed, but I do my research first.
8. Do you purchase anime without knowing more than what’s on the box?
I would only buy the shows I like the most.
9. Do you watch more anime than any other type of entertainment?
Anime occupies most of my entertainment. Besides that, I like the MythBusters. The experiments they do are pretty amazing and educational. I also watch the news, primarily CNN.
10. Do you watch raws?
Not really since I don’t know Japanese. I might try it once I get the hang of the language.
11. Do you watch fan-subs?
Yes, I do. The fan-subs are the only possible way to watch the show.
12. Do you watch streaming anime?
Actually, I hate streaming anime since it’s impossible to watch it offline, I find it pretty restrictive, and the sub quality is dubious, especially they lack the karaoke.
13. How likely are you to buy a show you’ve already watched?
Depends how much I like the show.
14. Have you ever downloaded to own (ex: iTunes, Funimation) anime?
No, mainly because they have DRM (Digital Rights Management) that prevents it from playing on any device besides Apple’s.
15. Ever downloaded anything you were too embarrassed to buy?
16. Have you been to a con? How many? How often?
I have never attended a convention, but I do want to attend one in the future.
17. What is your opinion of cos-play? Have you cos-played? Ever been hit on while cos-playing? Ever cos-played outside a con?
No, I haven’t cosplayed and I don’t mind as long they are good. I wouldn’t mind doing one, even though I have to crossdress… err… It’s a trap! But then again, not really since the college students would know and get the wrong idea about my orientation.
18. Have you ever done an absurd amount of research on someone from the industry? Tried to find them?
I have done some research when I was writing an editorial on how much the workers at an Animation Studio makes… After I wrote the editorial, I learned a lot about how much they make, which is peanuts.
19. Ever participated in 4chan? Helped in online activity of the Anonymous? In real life?
Never been on 4chan… don’t really care either.
20. Do you leave the house with something anime related on your person (ex: cell phone strap/background, button, etc.)
I use Anime backgrounds on my laptops and my iPhone. I don’t really mind what people think of it, so yeah.
21. Do you own anime related clothing?
22. Do you have something anime related at your office/workplace/locker?
23. Does your religion effect your anime watching?
24. How much time do you spend at work doing something anime related?
I don’t have a job… yet.
25. Ever tried to get a job in the anime industry?
If they have an MIS position for me, probably, but it’s not likely going to happen.
26. Have you ever gotten into an argument about anime? In real life? Did it get physical?
27. What is your opinion of modern anime fandom?
It’s different considering that I was watching Anime on TV and VHS tapes! Unlike the options for a sub, the dub and subs are two separate options. So yeah, the modern anime fandom got it easy.
28. How has fandom changed since you started watching anime?
Considering that I have watch Pokemon in the past, it’s a lot easier to access it. A fansub usually comes out in hours or one day.
29. What do you think is the future of anime fandom?
I see a bright future, but I don’t know what it ‘s going to be. Maybe there would be Anime blu-rays and digital distributions without DRM?
30. Do you think it is a fan’s duty to support the industry?
Absolutely, but nagging fans is not the way to do it.
31. Have you ever bought or read doujinshi?
32. Have you ever written or read fanfiction?
I have in the past, but I don’t really read it anymore.
33. Have you ever been a shipper?
At some point, but then again… shipping is serious business.
34. Have you ever watched an AMV? Made one?
I tried to in Premiere, but it was an epic fail. In general, I don’t watch AMVs, I would rather listen to Japanese music instead.
35. Have you ever written for a fanzine, magazine, or blog?
I obviously blog of course; if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be writing this post. In addition, I contribute music views to Anime Instrumentality Blog.
36. Have you ever been part of an anime club? An officer?
Not really, mainly because of my sister’s bad experience with her Anime Club at NJIT.
37. Have ever participated in any other type of fan made activity?
Audiosurf contest with Anime Mustic perhaps? Besides from that, not really.
Additionally, I participated in various livewatch groups with the SCCSAV, but I haven’t been doing that lately.
38. What do you think that fan made works contribute to the hobby as a whole?
I think fan made works is a good thing since it allows a fan to express his or her activity and a passion for the shows they like. This is why you see so many fanart and fanfiction.
39. Have you ever experienced anime burn out?
40. Do you quote anime? Have you ever quoted it to people who don’t watch anime?
Sometimes, mainly cute catchphrases. Uguu~
41. What is a deal breaker for a show? (i.e. I can’t watch a show, no matter what, if it has A)
The only thing that would make me not watch a show or drop it is too much fanservice, bad story, hentai (think Yosuga no Sora) and shows that don’t interest me.
42. Is there any type of show you will always watch/give a chance?
I will give a show a chance as long it’s in my comfort zone.
43. Are there any genres you won’t watch?
Shouen Action and Mecha… those are the two I don’t really care about. In addition, shows that throw too much fanservice (moderate amounts are okay). Also, shows that have a bad animation style turns me off too.
44. Do you still see yourself watching anime 10 years from now?
I will watch anime indefinitely.
45. Why do you watch anime?
The aesthetics, deep/fun story, characters and good music is what motivates me to watch Anime.