When I watched the first few episodes of Working, it felt like it was going to be a typical slapstick comedy anime. Not to mention, the running gag of Inami punching men was getting out of hand that I complained about it. However, that pretty much changed when we got to the more interesting and entertaining parts with Souta’s sisters, Yamada who now lives at the restaurant and Souta crossdressing to save Inami from her father.
Working is not like the typical slice of life comedy shows like Lucky Star, K-ON!, Seitokai no Ichizon, etc as it doesn’t take place in a school setting (a reason why you shouldn’t compare it to these type of shows). Working is a parody of a workplace, which in this case is a restaurant. Include a wacky and rather eccentric cast and you will get one strange restaurant. We know that the fun and excitement in Working can never happen in real life. If it did, who wouldn’t want to work?
The characters… We have:
- Souta who likes small and cute things. He doesn’t like to crossdress even though he looks 10x better as a girl.
- Popura is a well endowed, but short girl. She is made fun of by Satou because of her height. Popura is the main reason why Souta is working at the restaurant
- Inami is another girl who does not like men and punches them thanks to her father. She won’t punch males if they dress up like a girl. Also, she is a pettaneko.
- Yachiyo is a waitress who carries a katana/sword around ever since she got bullied. Seems to like Kyouko and gives her parfaits. Also have some interest for Satou.
- Souma is a smarty pants cook that knows embarrassing secrets of everyone who is working. Because of that, he is highly unlikable.
- Kyouko is a manager who doesn’t do anything but eat parfaits and other type of foods.
- Yamada who lives at the restaurant that takes things without asking and wants attention.
- Satou is a cook and a former delinquent, which doesn’t do much except smoke during breaks.
- Maya is the last new comer, which was introduced in the last minute. She is completely normal and is afraid of the rather eccentric employees who work at the restaurant.
Needless to say, these characters personalities are pretty unrealistic by looking at the quirky qualities of the character. This cast is what drives the really funny jokes and gags that is shown throughout the whole season.
The problem I see with the content is that they spent too much time on Inami and neglected Popura. I would have thought that they would spend more time with Popura since she is the girl that Souta liked the most. I’m guessing that the producers wanted to focus on solving Inami’s Arrhenphobia before anything else. Heck, they only covered 4 volumes out of the 8 volumes manga material, which is ongoing. Perhaps they will make another season with the remaining 4 volumes and even make it longer in length (26 episodes). Lastly, I think that the introduction of Maya should have been done earlier or put in the next season. I found it pretty uncanny to introduce a new character in the last minute since the viewers hardly get any background information about her whatsoever.
Lastly, the animation style of Working looks vastly familiar to Kannagi animation style, which is another production by A-1 Pictures and Ordet. Needless to say, the animation is pretty good for their second time of making a slice of life comedy anime. The animation is really colorful and appealing to the eye.
In conclusion, Working was the most enjoyable slice of life comedy of this season (excluding the multi-season K-ON!! and Kaichou wa Maid-sama). If you can get through the first few episodes of overused jokes and watch the more enjoyable episodes that happen later on, then watch it! It may not be the greatest comedy ever made, but don’t underestimate the laughter that Working gives you because you will be doing it a lot.
8.65/10, B/B+, Outstanding
Fanart used in this post is made by yuna
Like this post? Use the Reactions system and Do Not Use the Like Button in WordPress Reader.
The Reactions system replaces the WordPress Likes system, which appears at the bottom of every post.
Please do not leave likes via WordPress Reader on my posts as they will not appear on my blog. Anyone doing so that is following this blog will be notified of the new system as your name will appear. I will know who is ignoring this notice.
If you like the post, simply click/tap the Like button in the reactions below. You can also choose a different reaction if you wish. Any reactions made are 100% anonymous.