Instead of wasting my time watching Endless Eight and ending up with unnecessary rage, I decided to play more of the Kanon visual novel and now this time… Mai’s and Sayuri’s arcs. Although there are a few differences from the Anime and the VN concerning Mai’s and Sayuri’s arc, they managed to adapt the whole arc with some changes… ones that will be mentioned below (contains VN spoilers)
-In the past, Mai used her hand to feed the dog, but Sayuri gives up her lunch so that the dog won’t eat her hand.
– Kuze introduces himself at the ball in the Anime. In the Visual Novel, he is introduced when Yuuichi storms into Student Council meeting room.
– After the incident in at the ball, In the Visual Novel, Mai gets expelled from school as a decision of the student council. Sayuri and Yuuichi attempts a partition to bring Mai back to school and also tried to get Kuze’s signature, but their decision was against theirs since Mai broke school windows in the past. In attempt to, Yuuichi resorted to violence, and grabbed him by the collar, but let go because of Sayuri. Next day, Mai was allowed back in school, but Sayuri was forced to join the student council by Kuze, until Mai shows up and threatens him that if he harmed Sayuri, Mai wouldn’t forgive him. Afterwards, it was revealed that Sayuri was part of the Student Council since she was forced in before quitting inorder to defend Mai. In the Anime, Kitagawa comes up with an excuse to protect Mai from expulsion.
– The memory sequences happens before Mai stabs herself (the field scene) and after (her childhood and how she gained her powers)
– Mai goes berserk at school the day after Sayuri was injured. In the anime, she goes berserk in a alley.
Not in the Anime
– When Yuuichi, Mai, and Sayuri arrived at the school, a wild dog appeared. After the gym teacher fails to chase it away, Mai uses a shovel to scare it away. Afterwards, they gave up one bento to feed the dog, which is the main reason why they were shuffling the food during lunch.
– Yuuichi’s dreams of a future with Mai and Sayuri after they graduated.
– Yuuichi tries to attempt to improve Mai’s reputation by helping children cross the street using flags. Mai ultimately helps the old woman to cross the street, but used the flag as a sword.
Note: Sayuri’s arc can be played after finishing Mai’s arc.
– Sayuri in the Visual Novel reveals that after the death of her younger brother, she started to cut her wrists because she wanted a way out for being a bad sister, but it wasn’t deep enough to cause death, but left a scar on her wrist. Then, she decided to go to the high school which is closest (the one Yuuichi and Mai is attending), where she met Mai after the dog was biting her hand and Sayuri offered her lunch. Afterwards, they have beef bowls (gyuudon) in the school cafeteria which helped mend her loss.
Not in the Anime
– Yuuichi takes Sayuri on a date to an arcade. Sayuri, although lost in a few arcade games, became amazingly better and started beating people which resulted in alot of people admiring her. Yuuichi likes her more because of it and wants her to stop using formal honorifics, but Sayuri said she couldn’t since all she had was Kazuya, who passed away.
Although there is no kissing scenes unlike the other arcs, Mai’s and Sayuri’s arc is the most interesting, pack with drama which crushes your heart that it makes you cry… Although the Anime didn’t make me cry, the Visual Novel towards the end of Mai’s arc and also Sayuri’s arc managed to make me shred tears. Although Kyoto Animation did a good job adapting Mai’s and Sayuri’s arc (by surprise) with some minor differences, it is still recommended to play the visual novel, not just for the missing or the changed parts… but for better drama impact.
Like this post? Use the Reactions system and Do Not Use the Like Button in WordPress Reader.
The Reactions system replaces the WordPress Likes system, which appears at the bottom of every post.
Please do not leave likes via WordPress Reader on my posts as they will not appear on my blog. Anyone doing so that is following this blog will be notified of the new system as your name will appear. I will know who is ignoring this notice.
If you like the post, simply click/tap the Like button in the reactions below. You can also choose a different reaction if you wish. Any reactions made are 100% anonymous.