Instead of wasting my time watching Endless Eight and ending up with unnecessary rage, I decided to play more of the Kanon visual novel and now this time… Mai’s and Sayuri’s arcs. Although there are a few differences from the Anime and the VN concerning Mai’s and Sayuri’s arc, they managed to adapt the whole arc with some changes… ones that will be mentioned below (contains VN spoilers)
-In the past, Mai used her hand to feed the dog, but Sayuri gives up her lunch so that the dog won’t eat her hand.
– Kuze introduces himself at the ball in the Anime. In the Visual Novel, he is introduced when Yuuichi storms into Student Council meeting room.
– After the incident in at the ball, In the Visual Novel, Mai gets expelled from school as a decision of the student council. Sayuri and Yuuichi attempts a partition to bring Mai back to school and also tried to get Kuze’s signature, but their decision was against theirs since Mai broke school windows in the past. In attempt to, Yuuichi resorted to violence, and grabbed him by the collar, but let go because of Sayuri. Next day, Mai was allowed back in school, but Sayuri was forced to join the student council by Kuze, until Mai shows up and threatens him that if he harmed Sayuri, Mai wouldn’t forgive him. Afterwards, it was revealed that Sayuri was part of the Student Council since she was forced in before quitting inorder to defend Mai. In the Anime, Kitagawa comes up with an excuse to protect Mai from expulsion.
– The memory sequences happens before Mai stabs herself (the field scene) and after (her childhood and how she gained her powers)
– Mai goes berserk at school the day after Sayuri was injured. In the anime, she goes berserk in a alley.
Not in the Anime
– When Yuuichi, Mai, and Sayuri arrived at the school, a wild dog appeared. After the gym teacher fails to chase it away, Mai uses a shovel to scare it away. Afterwards, they gave up one bento to feed the dog, which is the main reason why they were shuffling the food during lunch.
– Yuuichi’s dreams of a future with Mai and Sayuri after they graduated.
– Yuuichi tries to attempt to improve Mai’s reputation by helping children cross the street using flags. Mai ultimately helps the old woman to cross the street, but used the flag as a sword.
Note: Sayuri’s arc can be played after finishing Mai’s arc.
– Sayuri in the Visual Novel reveals that after the death of her younger brother, she started to cut her wrists because she wanted a way out for being a bad sister, but it wasn’t deep enough to cause death, but left a scar on her wrist. Then, she decided to go to the high school which is closest (the one Yuuichi and Mai is attending), where she met Mai after the dog was biting her hand and Sayuri offered her lunch. Afterwards, they have beef bowls (gyuudon) in the school cafeteria which helped mend her loss.
Not in the Anime
– Yuuichi takes Sayuri on a date to an arcade. Sayuri, although lost in a few arcade games, became amazingly better and started beating people which resulted in alot of people admiring her. Yuuichi likes her more because of it and wants her to stop using formal honorifics, but Sayuri said she couldn’t since all she had was Kazuya, who passed away.
Although there is no kissing scenes unlike the other arcs, Mai’s and Sayuri’s arc is the most interesting, pack with drama which crushes your heart that it makes you cry… Although the Anime didn’t make me cry, the Visual Novel towards the end of Mai’s arc and also Sayuri’s arc managed to make me shred tears. Although Kyoto Animation did a good job adapting Mai’s and Sayuri’s arc (by surprise) with some minor differences, it is still recommended to play the visual novel, not just for the missing or the changed parts… but for better drama impact.
If you see this text, this site has stolen my content. If you are affected by content thieves, look this domain up on a Whois Service, look up the IP and send a DMCA takedown with the host provider. STOP STEALING CONTENT AND MAKE YOUR OWN. Also, MATRIXAT, go fuck yourself you fucking thief!
4 Comments… read them or add your own.
Thanks for the comparison between the Kanon arcs in the VN and the anime, it’s something I haven’t seen before and it’s really whetting my appetite to play Kanon. Can’t wait until my Memorial Box arrives! ^^
I didn’t know there was a Sayuri arc though, which version of Kanon are you playing? The newest release (Standard Edition circa 2004/2005)?
Anyway, keep it up~
I’m using the most recent version (2004/2005) version of Kanon… but once Mai’s Arc is completely finished, there was a choice on January 26 that allows you to listen to Sayuri’s story which enters into her arc (The story in her arc is mostly the same in the anime except the missing parts.)
I have a little problem with Mai arc. Always 30 January shows me bad end.but it seems me choose a good answer in this game. Where get I solution about Mai arc in Kanon VN?
@Lu-san I suggest restarting and make sure you pick the right flags or you will end up in the bad ending. I suggest following the walkthrough.